Monday, June 29, 2009

June 22 - 28, 2009








































Fortie Family Flyer
June 22 - 28, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,
The end of June approaches and we have a few days in the 90’s and a handful of days in the 80’s and the rest of June in the 70’s or lower. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before; strange things going on these days. The weather and the economy were sure hard on all the art festivals, town days, carnivals and other outdoor community activities. All those artists putting time and money into setting up booths, only to have them blown down or have an empty park to sell to. The few people who braved the weather had no money to spend on homemade crafts and artwork (sometimes the parks were empty and sometimes they were filled with empty people). Pity, there was some amazing work out there. And to top it all off, it seems we spent what money we had on all the latest movies from Hollywood to give liberal groupies along the west coast enough money to fight conservative America for decades to come. We aren’t doing too well in our war against darkness. Perhaps we need some charismatic leadership that can keep this battle in our minds and in our hearts. This is no way to win a battle, sitting on our couches in front of the TV.
(Getting down from soapbox.) Well, this week was spent editing, which didn’t seem to produce anything worthwhile. I also went down to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple to get some sunset shots but the sunset didn’t pan out. It was very pretty but it was all behind me. I helped Jennifer take the Arnold kids to Herriman Days on Friday so they could have some fun on some of the rides there, get some cotton candy, etc. We had fun but it started raining on us toward the end. We stopped by Wendy’s for a bite to eat and a beautiful rainbow appeared out the window. I went to my car for my camera and got a few pictures. It was hard because of all the buildings and telephone poles. A few turned out.
Michelle packed for trek that she will be going on next week. Hopefully she will be OK with her bum knee.
Jennifer got a haircut. It makes her look a lot older, maybe too old. She has a few years to go before she needs to start attracting the boys. Getting kids to just be kids these days is no easy task.
We got up early Saturday morning to hit the ward breakfast then Jennifer and I had to leave after a few minutes to be in the Herriman Parade. Some of the cast for the play got to ride in the 100 year old horse drawn wagon (old people and small children) but the rest of us were to walk. As we pulled up in the scooter I dropped Jennifer off and was about to go park when it dawned on me that it would be fun to ride the scooter in the parade. I asked a few people and they thought it was a great idea so I rode up and down the sidelines giving kids high fives and chasing the clown around who was riding a bike that was on top of another bike (welded) which put him about 15 feet in the air. We had fun chasing each other around in circles every time I came his way. We honked at each other and sometimes when I was behind him I would yell at the crowd and ask if someone could get this clown out of my way so I could pass, then he would make a tight turn (he could turn much tighter than I could) and get behind me then start honking at me, it got some great laughs from the people along the street. Then I would zoom up ahead of our group to get a breeze going to cool down. I turned around in front of the fire trucks ahead of our wagon and would honk (my little scooter horn) three or four times at them as I passed and the driver would blow his big fire truck horn at me the same number of times and everyone would laugh. My stage wife, Mrs. Shinn rode with me the last half of the parade. She gave high fives so I could keep my hands on the gas and seemed to have fun. When we got to the pavilion we realized some people had their cars still at the beginning of the parade so I took Brooke, the director, on the scooter to her van so she could come back and get others back to their cars. The scooter came in real handy and seemed to be a big hit. In fact, in our next parade they want to make a banner to go on the scooter to say vote for Mayor Shinn. I’m fine with that (especially since I don’t have to walk in those hot clothes along a hot street).
After the parade we went home and worked on the yard and in the house. Jennifer was supposed to have her friends over to do her school paper burning activity in the back yard but with Herriman Days they decided to go to the carnival and burn papers on another day. Michelle, Jennifer and I went back to the carnival but I hardly saw them. They each went with their own friends and I helped man the booth and took pictures of the small part of our play we put on and of the Herriman Choir performing. After that an impressionist who performs all over the world and happens to live in South Jordan put on an amazing show. He sang songs from all eras of music from the 50’s on and sounded like each artist when he sang a part of their song. He was very funny, kept us rolling with laughter. I called Tami to see if she wanted to come down and join me but she didn’t feel like going out so I watched it alone. After his show Michelle, Jennifer and their friends joined us for fireworks then I talked to the teens for a bit then took the last of our booth down and we headed home (well Michelle went with friends and they stopped to eat before getting home and I dropped one of the teens off at her car and took Jennifer’s friend home then we headed home). We all got home at about 11:30 and were very tired.
Sunday Jennifer gave her first talk in Sacrament Meeting as one of the Young Women. She did great but said she was very nervous. After a few hours of our meetings we went to the homecoming of one of Jason’s best friends, David Verwer (sp) and he had a bit of an accent but gave a great talk. He has sure grown from his mission. We visited afterwards then headed home. After a little work on the computer (I have to go through training for the new Family Search program) I finished up home teaching with the Bishop. It is interesting being his partner; he is so busy we usually don’t finish until the last Sunday of the month. We then went to grandpa and grandma’s for dinner and to play with Spencer. He is really growing up. He walks by holding only one hand now and really crawls fast.
Well, that’s it for this week. Hope your ride on the Ferris Wheel is a good one.
Ken and clan



Nathan & Paige:
Nathan and Paige went to Vegas this week for some R&R. They were delayed getting home by one day (standby on JetBlue) but they finally made it.



Chad, Alicia and Spencer
Chad has been traveling up to Idaho to set up fireworks stands for his job. He has been busy.



Brian
Brian has been looking for work this week; still no luck.



From Elder Fortie:
K so this has to be ridiculously short, I have to pop over to half moon Bay in like 10 minutes.
This week has been madness, President Keller went home today, I love that man so much, and am truly in awe with how he ran this mission. That man was handed one of the most difficult missions in the world, and had to face so many disasters, and close down the mission, and there is a reason he was the man called here because I do not think any one else could have handled it as perfectly as he did. He is amazing! I would not be surprised to see him as a new member of the quorum of the 70 next year, and a new member of the 12 in a few years. He is incredible and I will miss him dearly. I talked to him last night on the phone for the last time (a great pleasure seeing as he already did his goodbye's to everyone else last week) and it was just so weird to know he would not be around any more... But we move forward none the less.
I still don't know much about the new mission. For now I have been assigned to stay here as the district leader and upkeep what was the San Francisco mission on this side of the bay. It's chaotic to be sure, and I don't think I've ever spent longer on my knee's, but I LOVE IT. I love this work, it is amazing.
We have a few investigators preparing to be baptized and I'm hoping for once I will be here for their baptism, all but once in my mission every time I kick an area into shape and set up several baptisms, I get transferred before they happen to a dead area where I have to start over. I don't mind too much, but how I would truly love to be here through the whole process with the ones we've got right now.
We found a new investigator last week, who is amazing, and on our next appointment, we came to find out, his step daughter is a member that moved here from El Salvador a year ago and hasn't been able to find the church! So we got her back to church this week which was so cool to see that happen!
I'm doing well, I'm eating way to much still haha, although it's not quite as good as when I was down south, I still get my fill.
I have to go, sorry to be so brief. I love you all and I pray for your happiness and progress in this gospel!
Take care,
Elder Fortie

From Michelle:
Alright peeps, here it goes again!
This week has been a lot of running around and preparing for me to leave for my pioneer trek! Aren’t things supposed to slow down a lot during the summer? Someone forgot to send that memo to my life.
When I haven’t been running around packing like a chicken with my head cut off, I’ve been trying to get my room redone. I’ve been chiseling and stripping an old dresser that we have so that I can repaint it, but it’s a lot of hard work. My hands are becoming strangely buff! I’ve lost half of the feeling in my right hand, and my pointer finger on that hand is permanently numb from using the chisel so much! But I will be SO excited when it all comes together and my room looks awesome!
For Young Women’s this week, we were getting our first year girls first aid ready. I had to put on a skit with my fellow laurel about what to do in different situations, and I played the role of the nerdy little first-year! I love acting and improv so it was a really fun skit for me! My girls were all cracking up and trying to take pictures (which I quickly labeled as illegal seeing as I never wanted anyone else to ever see me like that again!) Then we practiced our CPR with the CPR dummies. I told the girls to name their dummy after the guy they like, so maybe it wouldn’t seem so weird. They all laughed and then started playing right along with me. I love being with my young women and making them laugh. Sometimes, it’s the highlight of my week.
My best friend Courtney and I went on a hike this week in preparation for trek. It was really hot outside, and we went pretty far, but we had fun! We took little sack lunches and ate while we were out. I’m nervous, but really excited for this trek thing! I pull a handcart for 13 miles my first day (tomorrow) and then get to sleep on the ground and wake up early and do the same thing the next day. It could be interesting!
I also helped my friend Dallin with his eagle project the other day, and we ended up having a ton of fun! His parents seriously over feed me every time I am there! I love talking to them, and they get really excited every time that I come over because we just have a lot of fun!
Yesterday, we had our Fort Herriman Town Days. My best friend Ashley sang up on stage, and she did great! She has an amazing voice like nobody I know! We’re trying to talk her into trying out for American Idol, but she’s not too keen on the idea… we’ll work on it! After she sang, we got our group of friends together, and started going on rides together. We went on Farris wheels, spinning teacups, and something like Lagoon’s screamer! I think half of the fun was just being there with my pals! I love them all to death! Then we watched the fireworks, and went and got lots of food at Wendy’s. It was an amazing night!
Gotta go, I’ve gotta get up early to head out! Hope ya’ll have a great week and do everything that you hope to accomplish! Ciao!
Love,
Michelle Fortie



From Jennifer:
Hi there everyone!
This week I gave a talk on Sunday which I was shaking SO hard threw but finally got threw it! Daddy and I were in the Herriman parade together and we were walking through the streets singing Wells Fargo Wagon, Passing out fliers and throwing Candy at little children... Ur um I mean TO little children, of course! ;) And Herriman days! The carnival was way cool! I went with all my friends there and found out I actually really LOVE Ferris wheels which I thought I very much hated and was very much afraid of! I got ambushed by a guy that likes me and he dragged me on the Ferris wheel with him, very romantic for him! For me it was just plain awkward! But Michelle saved me (she is a great sister after all!) love you Mic! By letting me chill with her for a couple minutes until my two best GIRL friends could show up! But the rest was great fun and my friend Josh came and he hung out with all us girls and also protecting me from the guy that likes me. The fireworks were great! I ended up saving Michelle to! But while rescuing her she rescued me! We did a lot of saving that day! I felt like Superman! J!
Um on Friday I took the boys to the Carnival they had lots of fun! It was kind of crazy and stressing but we all had fun in the end!
The rain finally went away (for this week at least!) after one last big bang that took our power out on Friday! It was awesome! I love when the power goes out! It was pretty crazy constantly having pouring rain!
Well I can’t really think about much else accept lots of weeding and working! I got a burn on my leg from the Motorcycle! It hurt forever and its turning funny cool colors. It looks so cool! Wow you can tell I was raised with brothers!
OH! On Tuesday? I got my haircut! I love it! It still feels kind of weird though!
Hey Elder Fortie have you moved areas yet? Let us know! Love you all! Smile when you’re bored cause there is nothing better to do!
~Jennifer Fortie

No comments:

Post a Comment