Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 8 - 14, 2010


Some shots I took on a late bike ride along the Jordan River walkway in November (no shots from this week).























Fortie Family Flyer
February 8 – 14, 2010

Dear Family and Friends,
Happy birthday to Ken this time (j/k). Well kind of just kidding, it was my birthday but I didn’t really let people know (I was trying to avoid it). When you are young you can’t wait to have another birthday so you can tell people you are older and can do more things. When you are older… well, not so much. Now, the more birthdays we have the less we seem to be able to do. Oh well, such is life.
We did have a nice birthday dinner a week ago Sunday that Alicia put together as Tami has been working a lot of overtime because Jet Blue is switching over to a new computer system and it has been very difficult. Some people have even quite and there has been more than one night that Tami came home (she has to work in the center for a while until they get this figured out) saying she and others were reduced to tears because they can’t get things figured out. Crazy stuff. Anyway, Tami did have time to make my favorite cake, her super duper carrot cake. Oh wait, that was in last weeks letter, oops, oh well, guess I had better move on to this weeks news.
On Monday we had a lesson for Family Home Evening and then Tami and I tried to get a game going but the girls wanted to watch Psych and I wasn’t feeling up to battling with them so I gave in and Psych it was for a family activity (we check them out of the library). It is a silly show but we like it. Tami and I also like the Mentalist so we watched that this week. Other than a few more episodes of Psych through the week (so we could give the DVD back to the library) that is about all the TV I watched (besides international news (I don’t watch too much local news about who’s house burned down and what drunk driver caused problems) BYU devotionals and a few educational programs, etc.).
I’m trying to put things together for Deseret Book but it is very slow with the old family computer and working with my files on my external hard drive. That’s right I still can’t find anyone who can figure out how to put this Norton Ghost image of my computer back onto the main partition of the hard drive. I may have to take it in and pay big bucks to get it fixed.
I had a meeting on Monday with a new distributor and Deseret Book has a new buyer so I am starting over but this time I think it is going to go all the way and I should have my pictures into Deseret Book soon.
I didn’t think to change my work schedule for my birthday so the family asked what my schedule was on Thursday and I worked late and wouldn’t get home until about 10:30. They said that wasn’t right so I went in and found a lady who wanted to have the daytime off for a doctor’s appointment so we switched and all was well. For my birthday everyone else was busy with Special Needs Mutual or work or school so it didn’t matter much anyways but we were all able to sit down to eat shepherds pie together for dinner and watch Psych or something when people came home.
Tami and I went to see 2012 at the dollar theater on Friday. We tried last weekend but it was sold out. I was expecting (from seeing the previews) an over the top special affects extravaganza and it really was. They were constantly inches away from disaster and always miraculously escaping but it was actually more entertaining than I was expecting. It was okay for a dollar and even had a little bit of a story line. Wow, the things you can get for a few dollars these days.
On Saturday I woke up to go to work and my right eye felt a bit puffy and sore. I went to work realizing I was coming down with some kind of infection. It got worse through the day and at the end of my shift I was worn out and my eye was pretty swollen. I got out to my car and realized I was too tired to drive home so I lay back to take a 15-minute power nap and didn’t wake up for 2 hours. I got home at 5:30 and was down for the count. I called people to tell them I wouldn’t be able to teach Sunday School or Priesthood and stayed home from church with what looks like pink eye. The rest of the family went to dad and mom’s for a Valentines Dinner and I stayed home. I did call my home teacher Bro. Taylor, and he and Bro. Johnson came over and gave me a blessing. I got bored being home alone so after my nap I made a pudding cake for myself. It sure is good and since most of the kids don’t like it I will be able to eat most of it over the next week all by myself. Wahaha.
Well, that is it for this week at our house, nothing exciting, but it’s all we’ve got. Eat right, take your vitamins and your medicine if you need it,
Ken and clan



From Brian:
Hiaah Family,
It’s been a while since I wrote. I am way behind, from a heavy school load. I am taking 17 credits at Salt Lake Community College right now; one of them is an upper division course through the University of Utah.
This week on Monday for my FHE group at the singles ward we did a “heart attack.” We made cookies and little paper hearts and took them to less actives and gave, or threw, the hearts to them depending on how spontaneous you were. I and some other ward members decorated the house of a counselor in the Bishopric. We taped hundreds of hearts all over their windows, doors, garage, mailbox and even their cat. (On it’s collar). I am working on an Indian flute right now made of red heart wood (it’s a deep red wood) in my fine arts class, and just trying to get by with English, Math, Computer class, Cardio class and multiple Communication classes as well as anatomy study groups.
On Wednesday I picked up a packet from the college to fill out and run for Student Body President. I thought it would be good, I do better in school the more things I am involved in, and I am very good friends with the current SBP who will be leaving this semester and he thinks I would be a good replacement. It will be hard to try and juggle being a Student Body Officer if I make it, at Redwood Campus and on an Institute Committee at Jordan Campus, which I am doing right now. We’ll see if I bit off more than I can chew.
On Friday I got to meet and get to know the Dean of the Communication department at the U of U, which was good for connections when I transfer there. At night I went to Chad Andersons house and we watched Harry and the Henderson’s, which is a classic. I did nothing for the Valentines weekend. There were some dances but I just wasn’t feelin’ it. So I celebrated single awareness weekend myself. I did talk to my best friend Jonathan, on the phone, about finding a significant other and his perils he went through before he got married. It was good to hear from him, I haven’t seen him in a while.
On Saturday I was so glad, we had a baptism. It was my first convert baptism as a Ward Mission Leader instead of a Missionary this time. I was so excited! She is solid and will grow fast in the church. I think the members of my ward are finally starting to catch the fire too.
On Sunday after church my ward had linger longer and lots of treats to dip into a chocolate fountain, it was fantastical and spectaculous! Most of us went to Grandpa and Grandma’s. Dad couldn’t go because he has bacterial conjunctivitis, so he stayed home. Spencer is funny, he tried to make the Wookie sound and the Donald Duck noise I do. It was cute. Well I will try to catch up past letters. Love you all.
Elder Fortie love ya, and do some good.

Brian



From Elder Fortie:
Sorry gotta run, I gots to go get my companion packed up... he finishes his mission this next week... poor guy! 2 years down, 60 to go right?
Things are doing alright, but I think our missionaries are a little burnt out or something, we've got to get them recharged. They are doing well, indeed we're still setting records, but I think they are getting a little tired or something because I just don't quite feel the energy I felt before. I'm kinda worn out myself haha, so I don't blame them! But there's no rest, not yet! I've got work left to do and not much time left in which to do it... We had a few crazy people say some funny stuff to us. One guy tried to bash with us, and I didn't even bash back I just answered like 2 questions and everyone else in the room (all non members that we came to teach for the first time) jumped on his back like angry monkeys after a mango! Telling him he was a fool and that he should listen to us teach because our church was "made right" and just railing on him telling him his church was messed up and it took people's money and all this stuff, and I just sat there trying not to laugh as all these people who had no idea really what we taught, we're defending us, finally the guy got so flustered that he went to qucikly leave the building and walked into a closed door... I have to admit, I could not help but laugh then. I'm sorry, the poor guy was asking for it though. He tried to come in to attack and fight with us, and I wouldn't fight, so it just made him look like a bully, and everyone attacked him for me and he ran out feeling like a fool. Then we taught a great lesson once he and the contentious spirit he brought with him was gone.
So WHO made a list of all the people they know that aren't members and is praying about them? I'm following up, so what have you done?
Sorry to be brief, thanks for the package, although did you know you sent it flat rate so it cost a lot more then it should have? gotta go!
Love Elder Fortie



From Michelle:
Heidi ho!
This week hasn’t been too eventful. But I will report anyways! Monday, Jennifer and I went to get our nails done for a girl’s day. We got a fancy massage and our toenails painted and decorated and our fingernails done to match. Afterwards we went and got something to eat at Fazoli’s. I love that place so much! First, Italian food is my favorite! Second, their breadsticks are sent from heaven! Then we dropped a package off at the post office to send to Jason and headed back to the house for FHE! We had a lesson and then watched an episode of Psych because everyone was way too wiped out to do much else. :] Besides that, it happens to possibly be the most hilarious show ever!
Tuesday I went to school and worked as usual, so that was nothing really big to report. Work is really crazy right around Valentines, so it was really busy and I was definitely ready for bed by the time I got home!
Wednesday I had school and stayed after to take a test in one of my classes, which went pretty well, and then I hurried home and went straight to physical therapy. My knee is healing slowly but surly. It doesn’t hurt me as much quite as often anymore. And on top of that, I AM GETTING CLOSER TO TOUCHING MY TOES!!! Seeing as I used to only reach the tops of my kneecaps I was pretty excited when I got halfway down my shins! So my physical therapist told me to go get myself a treat, so I did just that! Then I headed to Young Women’s and practiced the “news cast” that we are performing for new beginnings. I am one of the head anchors and I’m having a lot of fun with it! We’re also doing commercials and in one of them I get to dress up as and pretend to be a guy, which is a lot of fun, and I’m surprisingly good at!
Thursday I had physical therapy again and the same old same old went down. If nothing else, I’m becoming super fit while I’m there! :] After I finished up there I went back to the house and we had some fun in celebration of Dad’s birthday! We watched the movie Forever Strong (which is an EXCELLENT movie and if you haven’t seen it… SEE IT!) before I had to take off for Special Needs Mutual! We handed out Valentines and sang and colored and ate candy as we had a really simple lesson that the special needs kids can understand. It never ceases to amaze me though that sometimes the lessons we hear there are the ones in which I feel the spirit the strongest. At Special Needs Mutual we get back to the basics that I know I often forget and it’s a great reminder.
Friday I went to school, came home, did some homework, and then went to my best friend Courtney’s house and watched a bunch of Psych episodes and just hung out! It was nice to just sit around and relax after a week of hard work and school!
Saturday we woke up and headed to the temple at 6 o’clock in the morning. Crazy I know. But since the Oquirrh Mountain temple is being closed for two weeks for cleaning, everyone went and EVERYONE went early to try to beat the crowd, which failed miserably. We were there for over 3 hours waiting to do baptisms for the dead. So I was super tired and couldn’t stop laughing at every little thing. The temple president came down and talked to us as we were in the chapel waiting. He was really funny and all of us were laughing really hard. I don’t think there was a single person within earshot that wasn’t dying laughing! When we finally finished up and got home, I napped for what seemed like forever, did some homework and headed to work at 2. Work was a lot of fun! The manager on duty that night is usually pretty strict and serious, but she was so tired that night that she was a little loopy and just really chill. So we were all messing around and having fun! Then at about 8 o’clock when things really slow down and nobody really comes in as much, 4 cops came in to get something to eat, and we were talking to them and helping them decide what to eat, and it was a blast! Then I got off work, ate some stuff and my best friend Courtney and I went to a movie. We had originally planned on going to see The Lightning Thief, but when we got to the theater, it was sold out! So we went and saw Dear John, which I really liked, although I would have changed the ending just a little bit. :] Then we got some junk food to stuff ourselves with and headed home for the night!
Sunday I went to a friend of Alex and mine’s farewell out in Taylorsville at 9 and took Courtney with me to keep me company. His talk was amazing and I know he’s going to be an amazing missionary! He’s going to Jackson, Missouri, which Dad says is going to be a hard mission, but I know he’ll do well. I also saw Alex’s best friend there and he knew I was coming, so he brought me a rose! Ha ha, he’s a sweetie and I miss having him around! Then Court and I went to Whitney’s boyfriend Dallen’s house par her request to “heart attack” his room. We had to hide in the circle down the road and watch his house, and Court and I had food, so we were sitting in the car, eating, and watching the guy’s house. We had the strangest feeling that we were on a stakeout for the cops, and it was actually pretty fun! When he was finally cleared of the house, we went in and decorated his room and left roses and chocolates and hearts and such. Courtney was playing as the lookout and making sure he didn’t come home and surprise us. Strangely enough, it felt like I was a felon or something and it gave me an adrenaline rush! Then we went home and to our home wards and all that jazz. After church, we went out to Grandma and Grandpa’s for a Valentines Day dinner with everybody! As usual, Alicia did an amazing job and the food was delicious! It was so much fun to see Spencer too! It’s amazing how much he grows up even just from week to week! He’s so smart now and can say so much. He’s hilarious and adorable and I couldn’t love him more! Then we decorated sugar cookies, ate them, and headed home to get some much needed rest!
Well, that’s my week for ya! I hope you are all doing well and that things on your end are running smoothly, I love you all and my prayers are with you! Remember, you were born an original… don’t die a copy.
Love,
Michelle





From Jennifer:
So basically this week was rather fun!
I went to a wedding expo with one of my super good pals and we had so much fun saying as we both want to be wedding planners! You can’t possibly imagine how many times I got asked so when’s the big day or which one is the bride, we laughed so hard and said that’s still like five years away! According to the family at least who are having bets on how long until I get married, apparently I’m not making it past twenty. Anyway…
This week we had a school Valentines dance that was SO much fun! Crazy dancing with friends and jumping all around singing at the top of our lungs, ah memories, create them while you can!
Work has been going fun although less crazy because I can’t have races or dance parties with the boys anymore do to my physical problems, it’s sad but the boys have been sweet about it all. We still find other fun things to do and have fun times. The other day Sam, the 5 yr old, said the funniest thing ever! Whenever I go to get the boys out of time out I come in and say can I have a word with you and then we talk about what they did wrong, well Adam, 3 yr old, wasn’t taking turns so I told him he needed go to timeout. Well instead of going he started throwing a temper tantrum so I got up to take him to his room and in his flailing he kicked me. Well Sam saw and he gasped then walked over and said Jenn, can I have a word with him? I giggled a little and took a step back saying sure Sammy. Well he turned to Adam with the most serious face ever and said “Adam, you don’t kick her, she’s a daughter of GOD!!!!” My mouth popped wide open and I busted up laughing! Then Sam turned to me all proud and said I learned that in church. Oh those boys, Love them so much.
So my count down to Disney land and Sea world has begun! I love my job so much! I can’t remember if I already said this but the Arnolds are taking us in five and a half weeks! I can’t wait!
Michelle and I had a girl’s day and went to get our nails done then went to Fazoli’s and got delicious Italian food with a dozen breadsticks to share because there breadsticks are pure heaven!
On Valentines Day we had a truly amazing dinner prepared by a truly amazing Alicia! We had fun with smart, funny little Spencer and his crazy noises and learning his words! He’s my favorite Spencer in the world (no offense to other Spencer’s out there)! Daddy’s birthday was fun and marked another year closer to…more gray hair then already there! :] Well, that sums up my week! Hope you all have a good one! And in honor of Love-day we’ll do a special love quote- to love is nothing; to be loved is something, to love and be loved is…everything! Love you all!
Love the baby sister of the family,
Jenny!

No comments:

Post a Comment