Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 25 - 31, 2010


Paige and sister


baby due in May.











A little Photoshop work on a picture I took this week.








Fortie Family Flyer
January 25 – 31, 2010

Dear Family and Friends,
Well, my anti virus program has finally saved our family computer. It was able to save windows when the virus first hit but it still had bugs enough to make it impossible to use. I turned it off, waited several days while trying to get my other computer fixed and when I turned it on to see what was going on and see if I needed to take it in somewhere to be fixed the anti virus-program worked for about 5 minutes on updates and suddenly it seems to be working fine. Happy days, the kids can get to their homework and save their semester at school. It is amazing how much we depend on computers these days. I still am trying to figure out how to get the Norton Ghost program to restore my own computer to it’s former self. My home teacher came over and helped restore windows but I may need outside help on the rest of it.
Well, the week has been hard without computers. There is not much new to report. Work at Deseret Book, clean house, help sick and invalid people, put the last few Christmas things away (we always seem to miss a few things no matter how much we check for them through the house), do a bit a genealogy (on new.familysearch.org I found one of the sources for one of my ancestors quoted an article from a newspaper in the mid 1600’s in Massachusetts about his death by falling from an apple tree while pruning it and breaking his neck, he left a wife with 8 kids and one to be born in 2 weeks – sad) and I also did some reading.
In my new reading of the Book of Mormon I discovered something about Lehi’s dream that I never had noticed before (in the 30 or 40 times through the book). Lehi tells of the dream then gives a brief prophecy about the future of the coming of the Messiah and the America’s. When Nephi tells his version the explanation of the dream and the prophecy are intertwined. As he tells of his prophecy when ever he gets to a place like telling of the Messiah teaching the people he pauses to say that the rod represents the word of God (Messiah teaching his word), or the people fighting against the 12 apostles he pauses to say that those people are from the building that represents pride etc. It came to me in a flash that the dream was a picture of the prophecy. It was quite an eye opener. I need to study it more now to really get the full impact of my discovery. I suppose many of you already knew that but it sometimes takes me a while to catch onto things like that.
Well, right after work on Saturday we went to Stake Conference and then again on Sunday morning. We were going to go to our building, which was being used as overflow since our Stake is too big for one building but on my way I felt we should go to the Stake Center. The kids asked why and I didn’t know. We got there and I thought there was going to be no place to sit but half the cultural hall was empty so we had lots of room. It was a good conference and after helping with chairs we went home. It wasn’t until I was home teaching that I learned why the impression to go to the Stake Center. The Gibson’s and Hutchings were at our building and they said the sound was so bad that they couldn’t tell what was being said. The Gibson’s even went home in the middle. Good thing I listened.
I went to the dentist this week and got worked on. My dentist encouraged me to continue working on my LDS game I had started years ago so I am working on that this week (an LDS card game). I’ll try to get it done this time. I have read some good books at the store and will have to get them and share them with you as I read more of them.
We had a nice dinner at grandma and grandpa’s and made cookies for Nathan. We used camo colors but mine looked more like a car wreck, who knew that doing camouflage cookies would be so hard. We had fun and all too soon we had to head home for bed and another week of school, physical therapy and work.
Well, that’s it for another exciting week at the Ken and Tami Fortie home.
Keep looking for rainbows.
Ken and clan


From Elder Fortie:

Hello everyone,
Is it nap time yet? Holy cow! I am getting so worn out! Every day 6:30 is coming earlier and earlier, I think some little fool gnome is changing my clock back 10 minutes every night or something! I am really getting worn out here and I'm not sure why. I'm working my tail off but I always have, this is nothing new. Maybe just 2 years worth of doing it is finally catching up with me, I realized yesterday was my 2 year mark... yeah lets not talk about that any more.
Well we had another 3 baptisms last night, things are going very well, extraordinary in fact. We continually week after week are breaking records and the work is going fantastic. I just wish I had a little more time to think, I forget half the time what I did yesterday because I'm just running like a lion in a field of zebra's, not sure what's the head and what's the tail, or for that matter where I even am any more! My companion is finishing up his mission in 3 weeks, and we are trying to have him finish out strong. He's good for me, he's many of the things I'm not. I'm more of a doer and mover, he's an organizer. I do stuff and he keeps track of it haha. It works out well. It really helps out a lot, he takes care of most of the paper work that I would forget to do, and I do all the authoritative stuff. It works out real well.
Well things are going well, our members are helping us a ton, Victor, who is preparing to serve a mission, is just hilarious. Elder Keith is an English Elder, and speaks only a few words in Spanish, and Victor speaks very broken improper English and they were trying to talk to each other, it was HILLARIOUS!!!! I was falling over laughing as elder Keith tried to say hand (mano) but instead said mono (monkey) and Victor looks at him and says "HEY! Why you say me monkey?" that's just a sample of their hilarious conversation. I don't know how to explain it. But Victor helps us a ton, we are basically his best friends so he'd rather go out with us then be with his friends, cause we are his friends! And he is an amazing teacher and fellowshipper so he just goes with us for like 5 hours a day to appointments teaching people and he is just a funny happy kid that everyone loces instantly. He's great to have around, along with many other members who help us so much. But anyhow, I'm out of time, things are going well. I'm tired but happy. I hope you all find yourself at least happy! Be good! I love you all!
Love,
Elder Fortie.

No comments:

Post a Comment