Monday, September 21, 2009

September 14 - 20, 2009









For pics click on:




Fortie Family Flyer
September 14 – 20, 209

Dear Family and Friends,
It’s a lovely day for a letter. How goes your reading and stretching your mind this week. Hope you have new things to tell on your quest for wisdom.
Not much to tell of in these parts. Everyone is busy, leaving no time to write. That’s not exactly true, Tami got another DVD of Monk this week from the library so everyone had to watch those episodes before she had to take it back. The things we do in our spare time. We don’t watch much live TV but we do get a few things from the library to watch now and then (no commercials). I got a bit frustrated this week. I kept making mistakes in my editing that cost me many hours as I had to do it over again; hard lessons.
Tami went with Sister Arnold to a movie for a girl’s night out so I went to the temple. It was a good experience and I felt a healing power come over me as I went through the initiatory work. That’s the first time I have been at the front door of the temple at night (I have taken night pictures of the temple from far away but not right at the door) and the view of the valley from the Oquirrh Mountain Temple is beautiful; must bring my camera next time.
Saturday was a busy day, I had a genealogy class at 9:00 then worked around the house and on pictures until Michelle’s date came to pick her up. They went out and played during the day then she came back to get ready for the homecoming dance later on. We took pictures and sent them on their way at 5:30 that night. After she left Tami, Brian and I went to the ward emergency preparedness dinner and fireside. It was a good bowl of soup and fruit and some good instruction on preparedness. We bought masks for emergencies then ate some great desserts (to help us have an emergency supply around our waistlines for future use). I was called at about 10:00 pm to see if I could teach the High Priests on Sunday. I read over the lesson then went to bed (let my subconscious work on it while I slept).
Sunday we all slept in because Michelle was going to speak at her Special Needs Mutual Sacrament meeting at 1:00 so we decided to all go to that one. We went to our Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society/Young Woman’s meetings and my lesson was on genealogy so it was up my alley. We had some good discussion and some questions about where rebellious children were going to end up and people seemed to think it went well. After church the girls had Young Woman’s leadership meetings then we went to the Special Needs Meeting and came home to write and get ready to go to dinner at my parents. Our home teachers were next door when I came home from church on my scooter (we went at different times), so when they came over to talk to me about my scooter and find out when they could come over I had them come in right then as we were all sitting around waiting for Brian to come home so we could head out. We had a nice visit.
They didn’t need the soup Tami was assigned to bring to the fireside Saturday night so we took it with us for dinner. Scott and Stacie were there we had some good conversation catching up with them and a good time was had by all. We went outside and played with Spencer and took pictures. Mom and dad went to pick Curt up from the airport after his cruise/training as Mary Kay wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t go get him. They took him home then came back. Later on we played a little golf (card game) and had peach cobbler that Alicia had made (and of course lots of ice-cream). A good time was had by all and the time came too quickly when we had to get going to get girls to bed for school in the morning.
Well that’s it for our crowd; make sure your ready for the next emergency or two.
Ken and clan


P.S. I have been reading a book called “Wisdomkeepers” by Steve Wall and Harvey Arden. These two guys went around the country to different Native Americans and talked to their elders about what they had to tell us. I read an interesting story told by Leila Fisher, from the Hob tribe in Washington State.
She asked the two guys if they ever wondered how wisdom comes and then proceeded to tell them this story.
“There was a man, a postman here on the reservation, who heard some of the Elders talking about receiving objects that bring great power. He didn’t know much about such things, but he thought to himself that it would be a wonderful thing if he could receive such an object – which can only be bestowed by the Creator. In particular, he heard from the Elders that the highest such object a person can receive is an eagle feather. He decided that was the one for him. If he could just receive an eagle feather he would have all the power and wisdom and prestige he desired. But he knew he couldn’t buy one and he couldn’t ask anyone to give him one. It just had to come to him somehow by the Creator’s will.”
“Day after day he went around looking for an eagle feather. He figured one would come his way if he just kept his eyes open. It got so he thought of nothing else. That eagle feather occupied his thoughts from sunup to sundown. Weeks passed, thin months, then years. Every day the postman did his rounds, always looking for that eagle feather – looking just as hard as he could. He paid no attention to his family or friends. He just kept his mind fixed on that eagle feather. But it never seemed to come. He started to grow old, but still no feather. Finally, he came to realize that no matter how hard he looked he was no closer to getting the feather than he had been the day he started.”
“One day he took a break by the side of the road. He got out of his little jeep mail-carrier and had a talk with the Creator. He said: “I’m so tired of looking for that eagle feather. Maybe I’m not supposed to get one. I’ve spent all my life thinking about that feather. I’ve hardly given a thought to my family and friends. All a cared about was that feather, and now life has just about passed me by. I’ve missed out on a lot of good things. Well, I’m giving up the search, I’m going to stop looking for that feather and start living. Maybe I have time enough left to make it up to my family and friends. Forgive me for the way I have conducted my life!”
“Then – and only then – a great peace came into him. He suddenly felt better inside than he had in all these years. Just as he finished his talk with the Creator and started getting back in his jeep, he was surprised by a shadow passing over him. Holding his hands over his eyes, he looked up into the sky and saw, high above, a great bird flying over. Almost instantly it disappeared. Then he saw something floating down ever so lightly on the breeze – a beautiful tail feather. It was his eagle feather! He realized that the feather had come not a single moment before he had stopped searching and made his peace with the Creator. He finally learned that wisdom comes only when you stop looking for it and start truly living the life the Creator intended for you.”
“That postman is still alive and he’s a changed person. People come to him for wisdom now and he shares everything he knows. Even though now he has the power and the prestige he searched for, he no longer cares about such things. He’s concerned about others, not himself. So now you know how wisdom comes.”
Interesting story.




From Elder Fortie:

Alright world, here I come, errr... here I write.
Okay so I'm just kickin against the bricks here in Oakland, I work here in South and East Oakland, uhm, it's ghetto but hey it's about the same as normal for my mission. Drugs, alcohol, hookers, gun fights murders etc. it's all the norm; sadly enough. I guess it's never really normal, but you do begin to at least learn how to believe what you’re seeing rather then be caught in disbelief. I don't mind, strangely enough those are often some of the best area's because you will find the most humble people.
Uhm, the new jobs interesting... I'm not at all afraid of the task, but it's certainly not what I wanted to be doing with my mission... to be nice, the Oakland mission had some serious... problems... that they are now calling on us San Francisco missionaries to fix. So that's what I get to do.
Also as far as the supervising the temple goes, mostly I just supervise the visitor center, the temple runs itself pretty well haha.
I work South East Oakland, and its pretty ghetto, but that's cool, I’m used to that haha, I've been in the ghetto for the majority of my mission, I just appear to belong there. Although I have to admit, I miss San Francisco... a lot... Oakland just doesn't feel like my mission. But I will adjust; I didn't come out here for me anyways. So we just push forward.
My birthday was alright, it was kinda sad because since I'm in a brand new area no one knew me, so they didn't know it was my birthday, or if they found out they didn't know who I was so it was just oh... happy birthday... So it was kinda lame, but oh well, I've got plenty to go. Although some of the missionaries made me cake... and then shoved my face into it... it was funny. I am very grateful for the birthday package though! I loved it, although I am sad to say the pears were pear soup... but thanks anyways! Well I again, must run, to much to do with to little time, I just got told last night that I have to put together a zone conference... for tomorrow, something went wrong so they dumped it on us... sigh, such is life.
Well I'll talk to you all later, be happy! Saty Good!
Love Elder Fortie

No comments:

Post a Comment